Parent Visa

You can apply to join your child in the UK or remain with your child if already in the UK.

What is a parent visa?

A parent visa allows you to live with your child . The parent visa is a route to settlement (indefinite leave to remain) which can then lead to British Citizenship. There are two routes to settlement called the 5 year route and the 10 year route. You will be granted a visa on one of the routes depending on whether you meet certain requirements. The visa will be valid for 30 months and you will need to extend it until you complete your route to settlement.

Who can apply for a parent visa?

You can apply for a parent visa for the UK if:

  • Your child is under 18 years old and not living an independent life
  • Your child is a British citizen or settled in the UK, or in the UK with limited leave under Appendix EU, or has lived in the UK continuously for at least the 7 years (if an exception applies)

What are the requirements of a parent visa?

You will need to show that you meet the following requirements:

  • You have a genuine parental relationship with your child
  • You can meet the adequate maintenance and accommodation requirement
  • You can demonstrate knowledge of the English Language to the necessary level

What happens if the parent visa application is successful?

You will be granted a parent visa to live in the UK for 30 months. You can extend this for a further 30 months until you have completed your route to settlement. You can then apply for indefinite leave to remain.

What happens if the spouse visa application is refused?

If your application is refused, you can appeal against the decision in the immigration court. An independent judge will assess whether or not the Home Office’s decision was correct.

Talk to our parent visa experts:
Call 0208 902 6110
Make an enquiry online  

Related Links

Scroll to Top